The Hibbing Daily Tribune, a six days a week daily covering the heart of the Iron Range, is seeking an energetic, well-rounded general assignment reporter for print and digital formats. Primary coverage areas include, but are not limited to, government, education, health, arts and entertainment, and more. The reporter we seek loves solid spot news, creative features and daily breaking news coverage. Basic photography, computer and social media skills a must. Passion for writing, storytelling and accuracy preferred. Meeting deadlines, multi-tasking and being creative required. Pagination and videography skills a plus. Hibbing is a strong mining community of approximately 16,000 people, with a local hospital, great education system and tons of outdoor activities, including several area lakes, trails and golf courses. Other communities we cover include Chisholm, Nashwauk, Keewatin, Side Lake and Pengilly. Work would appear in multiple newspapers across the Range. Our newspaper reaches more than 4,700 subscribers and our web site, hibbingdailytribune.net, averages 300,000 page views per month. We are part of Adams Publishing Group, LLC, a family-owned company committed to providing local news to the vibrant communities we serve. APG’s portfolio of products include: 46 community newspapers, 12 advertising shoppers, seven specialty publications bs 54 related websites. The company offers competitive pay and full benefits, including 401k, medical, dental, vision, disability and more.
• Cover any kind of story — breaking news, beat coverage, community events, feature stories, special projects.
• Develop sources in multiple communities.
• Develop story ideas.
• Plan daily and ongoing coverage with editor.
• Work accurately, punctually, independently and ethically.
• Work collaboratively with all HDT staff and staff at the APG Company newspapers.
• Stay attuned to local, regional and state issues that affect our communities.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Flexibility and reliability are vital. Work hours may include nights, weekends and holidays. Ability to work unpredictable hours without loss of quality.
• Ability to relate with people in the community.
• Must be able to quickly develop an understanding of issues.
• Ability to handle deadline stress and to work at a deadline pace.
• Gumption to ask tough questions. Be resourceful.
• Ability to handle sensitive and emotional situations, balance competing demands, set priorities and juggle several issues at once. Must be fair, but aggressive when warranted.
• Knowledge of AP Style.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education/experience in journalism, preferably having worked at least one year on a weekly or small daily.
• Must have computer skills in word processing, general photo and video editing.
• Strong writing and interviewing skills, including the ability to listen to interview subjects and take accurate notes.
• Knowledge of freedom of information and libel laws. Exhibit a deep-seated sense of fairness and sensitivity to all readers and subjects of articles.
• Must have a valid driver’s license and a driving record that is insurable by the company.
Send resume, writing examples and photography samples to Editor Kelly Grinsteinner at email@example.com or PO Box 38, Hibbing MN 55746.