LOCATION: The Duluth News Tribune
CITY, STATE: Duluth, MN
CLOSE DATE: 12/1/2015
• Manage a team of copy editors and designers, working with the group to produce a dynamic, accurate, organized, well-designed and visually-pleasing newspaper.
• Determine and develop the strengths of team members, but also challenging them to seek other areas for growth.
• Schedule staff resources, review staff performance and seek out opportunities for their professional development.
• Be an active member of the newsroom management team. Participate in news and planning meetings to contribute to discussions on the display of the news pages, laying the groundwork for how various section fronts will be designed.
• Coordinate presentation of daily news, collaborating with writers, editors, graphic artists and photographers to accomplish this goal.
• Ensure the copy desk’s maintenance of the website is timely, accurate and complete.
• Collaborate with the features editor, sports editor and assigning editors to set consistent visual style and tone for all sections of the News Tribune.
• Strive for improved communication among the copy desk members and between the copy desk and other newsroom and News Tribune departments.
• Maintain or delegate maintenance of the newspaper’s design stylebooks. Keep them updated and train staff on their changes.
• Hold regular page design meetings with copy desk members to critique their work, discuss best practices and identify areas of the paper in need of redesign.
• Ensure systems and staffing are in place for the press to start on time each night.
• Work scheduled shifts on the copy desk as needed. This could include day or night shifts.
• All other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or a related field with at least five years in page design/copy editing/graphic design experience preferred.
• Fluency with Google and Adobe Creative Suite (In Design, Photoshop, Illustrator).
• Excellent communication skills and a willingness to collaborate on work across disciplines of writing, photography, editing and design.
• Salary commensurate with experience. Position reports to the editor.
• Some management experience preferred.
• Strong organization skills, news judgment and leadership abilities.
• Ability to work under pressure and on a deadline.
• Must be able to work some weekends and holidays.
• Must have a valid driver’s license with a driving record that is insurable by the company.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 1, 2015
Apply online at: https://www.appone.com/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=1169079