Are you seeking a fast-paced career in journalism with a chance to report hard news, features and enterprise stories centered around law enforcement and the judicial system? Do you want to live in a dynamic community offering a vibrant, diverse lifestyle – with a culture richly defined by the outdoors, arts and recreation?
The award-winning Bemidji Pioneer has an opening for a regional reporter who will cover breaking news and features for our weekly publication, The American, as well as for the daily Pioneer.
The Pioneer is a six-day daily with a circulation of 8,000 and a strong web presence. We feature an 11-person newsroom. The Pioneer is part of Forum Communications Co., a family owned, financially stable company that is consistently growing its regional footprint in four Upper Midwest states. Many journalists can advance to careers with the company’s larger newspapers/media outlets and there is room for advancement throughout the company.
- Receive assignments and develop own ideas into relevant, well-written news and feature stories covering public safety and the judicial system.
- Respond to breaking news and be able to write on deadline from various media platforms.
- Establish contacts and relationships within local, regional, state and federal law enforcement bodies, as well as with various court systems.
- Organize materials, determine focus and write stories according to prescribed editorial style and format standards, both for the newspaper and online.
- Contribute to the Pioneer website and social media by planning online components for stories, writing updates for immediate posting and composing additional online content as appropriate.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or mass communications.
- Previous writing experience, preferably with weekly or daily newspaper, but will consider recent college graduates.
- Photography skills required.
- Accuracy and ability to write clean, crisp copy in a fast-paced, deadline oriented environment.
- Must be available to work nights and weekends as necessary.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a driving record that is insurable by the company.
Bemidji is located in north-central Minnesota, the first city on the Mississippi River, and is home to Bemidji State University. In addition to Lake Bemidji and Lake Irving in Bemidji, numerous other lakes and rivers are just minutes away, as are several federal forests and numerous state parks. A growing university community, Bemidji has a population of just over 14,000 but draws in more than 40,000 people to the community on a daily basis. Bemidji is also near two American Indian reservations, which contribute greatly to the diversity and cultural aspect of the area. Bemidji is one of Minnesota’s favorite vacation destinations and we wouldn’t want to leave out that it is the “real” home of Paul Bunyan and Babe the Blue Ox.
Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree in journalism. A background in newspaper and/or magazine writing, along with some photo or multimedia skills, is preferred. Experience is preferred but will consider recent college graduates.
Send resume and several writing examples to Matt Cory, Editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org or to 1320 Neilson Avenue SE, Box 455, Bemidji, MN 56619.