Are you the kind of person who likes to get to the bottom of things and be the first to know what’s happening around you’ Do you have a commitment to community journalism’ The Echo Press, Alexandria, Minnesota, is looking for an experienced reporter to join our award winning team. The Echo Press is a twice weekly newspaper with a strong online presence serving Douglas County, Minnesota.
- Coverage of education issues in Alexandria, including school board meetings.
- Coverage of breaking news, including crimes, accidents and natural disasters. Must be able to independently cover breaking news, write the story immediately and get it online.
- Coverage of court cases in Douglas County, including checking court records for information.
- Taking quality photos to accompany stories; shooting video for online stories.
- Writing general assignment and stories as assigned for special sections.
- Generating and pursuing story ideas from around Douglas County, with special emphasis on the northeast section of the county.
- Regularly cover evening and weekend events/meetings.
- Carry law enforcement scanner and respond to calls on a rotating schedule.
- Cover city and county meetings as a backup.
- Other duties as assigned by the editor.
- Undergraduate degree in communications or journalism or experience preferred.
- Excellent grammar, spelling and typing skills.
- Ability to work well with others under pressure and deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task, juggling multiple projects in a fast-paced newsroom.
- Some experience with photography and videography preferred.
- Must have a valid driver’s license that is insurable by the company.
To be considered for this position please upload cover letter, resume and work samples when applying.
Application deadline is 5/27/16
www.forumcomm.com/careers to apply