The Brainerd Dispatch has an opening in the newsroom for a reporter to cover Crow Wing County government as well as other stories and features as assigned.
• Reporting on meetings of the Crow Wing County Board, on decisions and programs by various county departments and writing in-depth features on functions and personalities within county government.
• Developing trusted sources within county government and the community at large.
• Writing stories on a variety of topics outside of the county beat as assigned by editors. Rewriting news releases and other information as assigned.
• Covering a wide variety of topics on short notice, including breaking news.
• Copy editing as needed.
• Being attuned to local, regional and state issues.
• Performing other duties as assigned.
• Strong content-gathering and presentation skills across all platforms.
A positive attitude and a willingness to develop new approaches to
• Strong communication, organizational and beat-building abilities.
• Ability to handle stress and work on deadline. Flexibility to work long or unpredictable hours without loss of quality. Work hours may include nights, weekends and holidays.
• Must possess a reliable vehicle covered with acceptable insurance
• Must have a valid driver’s license with a driving record that is insurable by the company.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum: College degree or equivalent experience; at least two years working experience in a daily or weekly newspaper.
• Preferred: Four-year degree or equivalent experience in above.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 4, 2017
Apply at: forumcommunications.appone.com