Southwest News Media, an affiliate of Big Fish Works, an award-winning news organization located in the southwest metro area of the Twin Cities, is looking for a motivated journalist to work in collaboration with a 19-member news team in covering the communities we serve.
The successful applicant will have strong journalism skills and be prepared to develop investigative, enterprise and big-picture digital and print content that goes beyond merely covering events. Storytelling in print and online is a top priority, in addition to producing video and photography. Knowing the basics of writing, editing and photo journalism is important. Our primary mission is to inform, entertain and grow our audience base.
We publish eight weekly newspapers and related website in a high-growth and changing area. Our focus is on producing hyper-local content that entices local residents to turn to us as the primary sources for local news and information.
This full-time position offers a competitive wage, benefits including 401(k) and profit sharing, health insurance, PTO and paid holidays.
Job and skill requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
• Ability to recognize and cover breaking news, including developing related story content that is
relevant to our local audience
• Communication excellence is imperative, including the ability to listen, interview, take notes and write
great content on deadline and under pressure
• Spelling, accuracy, attention to detail, ability to multitask, maintaining confidentiality and following AP
style and formatting for multiple platforms are high priorities
• Understanding of the importance of social media in promoting our news products and engaging with
our audience, and the skills to make that happen
• Flair for creating web-heavy content that can be easily repurposed for use in print publications
• Videography and photography skills that can elevate news coverage
• Must be a motivated self-starter who is passionate about producing great community content and
• Demonstrated ability to work in collaboration with all members of the news team to ensure our
continuance as the #1 source for local news and information
• Comfortable operating in rapidly changing media environment
• Participate in developing content related to special “advertorial” publications/projects
• Knowledge of content management system
• Must possess a sense of urgency in being “first” in providing accurate content that impacts our local
• Demonstrated fluency and success in using social media to drive audience engagement
• Ability to attend meetings and community events as assigned
• Willingness to work nights, weekends and some holidays
• Candidate must have a valid driver’s license and current auto insurance.
Due to the evolving nature of the media industry, job responsibilities are subject to change based upon the needs of our company.
Southwest News Media, located at 12925 Eagle Creek Parkway in Savage, MN, is an affiliate of Big Fish Works, a nationally-recognized, award-winning media organization. Its family of weekly newspapers includes: Chanhassen Villager, Chaska Herald, Eden Prairie News, Jordan Independent, Prior Lake American, Savage Pacer, Shakopee Valley News, Hutchinson Leader, Litchfield Independent Review and International Falls Journal. Collaboration, Community, Integrity, Passion and Perseverance are our company’s core values.
Contact: Brent Schacherer – firstname.lastname@example.org