- This event has passed.
Reporting on Protests
September 27, 2017 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pmFree
Wed, September 27, 2017
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM CDT
How to safely and effectively cover these key news events
Hear from a First Amendment attorney, veteran journalists, a community organizer and law enforcement on how to report on protests, with tips for protecting yourself and your data.
• Mark Anfinson, media and First Amendment attorney
• Wintana Melekin, Neighborhoods Organizing for Change
• Corey Schmidt, Minneapolis police spokesperson
• Anthony Souffle, Star Tribune photojournalist
• Doualy Xaykaothao, MPR News reporter
• Moderated by: Lindsay Seavert, KARE-11 reporter
6:00 p.m. Networking
6:30 p.m. Discussion
Sponsored by the Minnesota Journalism Center at the UMN Hubbard School of Journalism & Mass Communication, the UMN student chapter and Minnesota professional chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, SAG-AFTRA, NABET-CWA and the Minnesota Newspaper & Communications Guild.
University of MN – Twin Cities East Bank Campus
216 Pillsbury Drive Southeast
Minneapolis, MN 55455