Registration for the 2020 Minnesota Newspaper Association Convention is NOW OPEN.
You will find all session information and speaker bios on the registration website.
To book your hotel room – click here.
2019 Sessions & Speakers
Sen. Klobuchar was honored with MNA’s Distinguished Service to Journalism Award. Unfortunately, due to last minute votes being scheduled in the senate, Senator Klobuchar was needed in D.C. and wasn’t able to attend the MNA conference in person. This is the video sent by Sen. Klobuchar to play in her absence.
Play YouTube Video
You can check out all of the 2019 MNA Convention Speakers and Session here.
Speaker handouts to download from the 2019 Convention.
Mark Anfinson – Nuts & Bolts of the Data Practice Act/Open Meeting Law
Mark Anfinson – Legal Update
Heather Stockman & Josh Miller – Talent Gen
Matt McMillan – Hot Topics
Revenue Ideas On Tap!! 2019
- Jody Hanson, Echo Press Puzzle fun and games book. Started as a suduko book. Found through Metro. Bought the templated book. Create word finds for the advertiser. $5100, 6500 copies. Color, front back, inside front, inside back, back. 80 lb white email@example.com
- Steve Gall, APG – White SheetsIdea from Daily Clips, give them to sales reps to give to their customer. So the sales reps is an expert and they are equipped with the information. Forces rep to have contact with account. Copy and paste into word, personalize, send. Steve.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jim Brogren Detroit Lakes Newspapers – Not so Jolly St. Nicks big Christmas adventure. Match a photo with a logo. Chance to win $100 in chamber bucks. 18 ads this year. $109/ad. First year had 14 ads. email@example.com
- Becky Wedde – Wadena – Jingle Bell Becky – 17 ads sold before noon in first day. Photos of Becky in different places in the businesses. 17 ads, $109/ad. $1753. Winner gets $100 in chamber bucks. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Britanie Rentz – Wadena PJ, Homecoming Edition – Homecoming candidates, schedule of events and photos submitted by WDC. 3 ad sizes sold, Great Community price. Brings in about $2300. 4 page section in paper. email@example.com
- Lee Zion – Lafayette Nicollet Ledger – Where the Face of Lafayette….., Where the face of Nicollet. We’re More than just a pretty face… Took pictures of people in town, created house ads for subscriptions and advertisers. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lee Zion – Lafayette Nicollet Ledger – Billboard advertising. Took a picture of a blank billboard and created an advertisement that from the view of the billboard explaining why billboards are not effect and they should be in the paper. email@example.com
- Lee Zion – Lafayette Nicollete Ledger – Crossword puzzle that creates a phrase of quote. Bring it in or mail it in and 1 person per week wins $10 towards a business that advertises. Done it for 40 weeks so far. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Megan – Duluth Media Group – 13 week community weight loss challenge. Registration fee – half of it goes to the food shelter. Businesses purchase sponsorships. 61% ROI. Platinum sponsoship $5000, down to $1000 for bronze. Revenue was just shy of $20,000. email@example.com
- Nikki Lyter – Brainerd – Patnership with the local Chambers. Partner for the visitor’s guide. Layout, ads, printing, distribution. After expenses we do a 50/50 split of revenue. Nikki.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nick Plain, Maple Lake Messenger – Old ways, New Revenues. Started Instagram for Maple Lake Messenger. School took over posting instagram stuff. 3 people total. If a bar or restaurant advertises in the paper, they get a feature on their instagram page. Which connects to facebook and twitter. Connected with School, Chamber, and etc. $100-$500 or more from new advertisers/week. email@example.com
- Robin – Detroit Lakes Newspapers – Good News Monthly – Recap the news at the end of the month, positive news items. Reader submitted photos, lighter side from the publisher. Sponsors around the side. $1200/month. On Facebook. And online. $149/ad – 2×2 or 1×4. Inserted into the paper once a month, on line every week. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Brainerd Dispatch – Minnesota Home Magazine, soft luxerious cover. All photos are submitted by builders that are advertising in it. Goes out on a Sunday, goes out on racks, all year log. Distributed copies at Lakes and Homes show. Direct mail to people that have primary address in metro but has lake shore property. Revenue $57,000 last year. Increased every year. Print 50,000 Cover s printed at Forum. Expenses are $30,000. Stories are written by local writers. lindaHurst@brainerddispatch.com
- Randy Jansen, Echo Press – Discover Lakes Area Map – Done every Summer in conjunction with the douglas county and vacationer. Broke into squares, you purchase number of squares. Map of lakes Ads are numbered and located on map. Inserted into Guide to Douglas County. Booger glued into Vacationer that is 4 times. Billed April – August. Revenue $10,550. email@example.com
- Liz Melacek – Detroit Lakes – Newspapers Packages for benefits. Created Packages – print ads, Facebook post, etc, all incorporated into one easy thing to sell to those that may not understand print ads. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Scoop the monkey – Ordered a $50 monkey costume from Amazon. Premiered at parade, ran Facebook contest to name, Scoop the Monkey. Used in parades, at Super Hero event. Going to have a coloring book this year. email@example.com
- Jordan Almen – Kerkhoven Banner, Create a Local Celebrity – We turned our golden retriever, Sophie, into a local celebrity by making her the focus of our ad campaign for Sophie’s Ice Cream Shop. We took photos of her ordering, eating ice cream, greeting customers. Everyone in our town knows Sophie firstname.lastname@example.org
- Izzy Rush – Echo Press – Fairbook. Editorial Staff interviews board members, stories of readers that have been at the fair every year – $11,331. Ad sponsors get free passes up to 4 depending on their package. Ad runs in the souvinor edition. email@example.com
- Izzy Rusch- Echo Press – 101 Fun Things to do in the Lakes Area – games, Bugs, etc. Restaurant Guide (which is sold into 3 different things) $18,575 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Patti – White Bear Press – Wine Page – $6,000 Ads surrounding map of wineries and monthly events. $1000/month for 6 months. email@example.com
- Ted Almen – Kerkhoven Banner – School Calendar – Use photos of students throughout the year. Ads on bottom of each month. 1/month. $200 each. Sold in 45 minutes. Inserted into the paper. September to August Extras to advertisers. Each month it is ran in the paper, with any updates. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Megan Warner – Spring Grove Herald – Music Student of the Week. 2X5 ad each week featuring local high school music student. Teacher sends in headshot and Q&A from student. Local business sponsor as many weeks as they like. We charge regular display ad rates. $100/week – been running for over 1 year and going strong. email@example.com
- Carmen Meyer – APG – Filler ads, sell ready made ads based on idea that you have space in your paper to fill it with that advertisers generic ad. Carmen.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Randy Jansen – Echo Press – I Do Bridal Guide – Bridal guide winter and summer issue. Brides are married at different times. Sold as a two time buy, less per ad. Sold the cover, $850 – get the front cover photo, filler inside photos, 1/4 page. Sold to Photoraphy – Jan – $11,717. 10,000 copies email@example.com
- Jill wasson – Brainerd Dispatch – Resource guide. Sold by inside rep. Layed out nicely, $20,850. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Steve Gall – APG – Well rounded Rep bingo. Incentive for each card filled out completely. 4 month period. Steve.email@example.com
- Michelle – Duluth Media – Produce videos for Duluth.com Previously a content driven site, not monetized. Remdeled about a year ago. Sold business listings and videos under EAT. SLEEP. SHOP tabs. Made $23,000 in first year. Grew email list by 10,000. gained emails by doing contests. firstname.lastname@example.org
- John Christenson – The Stevens County Times, Santa Paws, Santa pictures – but with dogs, for use in Christmas section for community engagement. Also get to pet a bunch of dogs. email@example.com
- Steve Jameson – Mankato Free Press – Deal Cards – Get restaurants and business that won’t spend money on advertising to committ to being on a “deal Card” for example: get 6-10 pizzas places to committ to a large 3 topping pizza, put them on a punch card. Restaurants get thousnds of dollars in free promo and upsell opportunites, sell cares for $30-$50 each. Do pizza cards, burger cards, golf cards. $6000-$20000 depending on cards. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Taylor McClearen – Lakes Area Review – Map – Local Small papers like the Lakes Area Review could benefit if they took over printing the local town map. Businesses could advertise in squares around the border on the map, money for both ends this would be a fun way to connect the community or welcome people visiting. email@example.com