- This event has passed.
Covering Jails and Police Reform
September 22, 2021 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
This free online webinar series will help journalists more confidently cover America’s criminal justice system, from learning about COVID-19 inside jails to proposed changes in local policing.
- Tune in once a week from Sept. 22 to Oct. 20 for 90-minute, hands-on workshops.
- Become a better informed, more thoughtful reporter covering hot-button justice issues in your community.
- Go beyond covering daily spot news to dig deeper and write enterprise stories.
- Learn from experts on policing, incarceration, criminal justice, addiction, justice policy and journalism.
Throughout the series, you will learn how to:
- Cover significant legislative and local changes in policing
- Grapple with the ethics issues of how journalists cover the accused and convicted
- Deeply report stories about your local jail and COVID-19
- Generate more story ideas based on new data and trends in local jails
- Understand the effects of your reporting on formerly incarcerated people
- Consider new and diverse sources for your reporting