Each of you needs to contact your members of Congress NOW to stress how vitally important opposition to the tariffs are for community newspapers. Ask them to co-sponsor the PRINT Act S. 2835/H.R. 6031 which would pause the collection of newsprint tariffs until further study is done on the impact on publishers and printers. The more of you they hear from, the more they will pay attention.
When you call their offices, tell the person who answers you are a newspaper owner in Minnesota. If you can’t speak directly to your member of Congress, ask to talk to their Chief of Staff or Legislative Director. We must ensure they understand how vitally important opposition to the tariffs are for community newspapers.
If you choose to communicate by email, updated messaging on the “Contact Congress” section of the STOPP coalition’s website makes it easy for newspaper employees and readers to send a message asking for support of the legislation. There are different messages for Senators and Representatives.
- Timothy J. Walz– Phone (202) 225-2472 email: Tim Walz contact form
- Jason Lewis -Phone (202) 225-2271 email: Jason Lewis contact form
- Betty McCollum -Phone (202) 225-6631email: Betty McCollum contact form
- Keith Ellison – Phone (202) 225-4755 email: Keith Ellison contact page
- Tom Emmer – Phone (202) 225-2331 email: Tom Emmer contact form
- Rick Nolan – Phone (202) 225-6211 email: Rick Nolan contact form
Please thank Sen. Amy Klobuchar, Congressman Erik Paulsen and Congressman Collin Peterson for signing on as co-sponsors of the PRINT Act!
Background and talking points are here to aid you in your outreach.
Here is a link of recent articles describing how newspapers are cutting back on news distribution as a result of these tariffs, which are being used for the press and to recruit co-sponsors of the PRINT Act.