MNA is pleased to announce that it will once again partner with the Pohlad Family Foundation to offer internship grants for high-school aged interns at MNA member newspapers. Application materials are now available on the MNA website.
- Download 2013 Program Enrollment Form
- Download Frequently Asked Questions
- Download 2013 Program Flyer
How the Pohlad Internship Program Works
- You choose a high school student, age 16-19, who will work for your newspaper in any aspect of the business half-time for 10 weeks; recent high school graduates are eligible.
- Complete an enrollment form stating that you will hire a high school intern and wish to participate in the Summer Youth Employment subsidy program. Forms will be available on the MNA website, and can by submitted by mail, fax, or email.
- College students and relatives of newspaper staff do not qualify for this program.
- The Pohlad Family Foundation requires that newspapers pay a portion to ensure a commitment from the participants and recommends an hourly wage of $8.00/hour for interns participating in the program.
- The reimbursement grant is calculated like this:
- First time interns: Member newspapers will be reimbursed for 75% of the intern’s wage, up to $1,200. For example: 20 hours per week, for 10 weeks, times $8 an hour (suggested wage) — the Pohlad Family Foundation grant will pay $6 of that $8 wage.
- Repeat interns: Member newspapers, hiring interns for the second time, will be reimbursed for 40% of the intern’s wage, up to $640. For example: 20 hours per week, for 10 weeks, times $8 an hour (suggested wage) — the Pohlad Family Foundation grant will pay $3.20 of that $8 wage.
Contact MNA Program Director Sarah Bauer at 800-279-2979 | 612-278-0250 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, and stories from 2013 interns and supervisors, visit: