Herald Journal Publishing is seeking a newspaper Editor/Reporter for the McLeod County Chronicle in Glencoe, Minnesota. An editor/reporter will serve to gather news and information that is relevant, address community needs and interests, and help readers.
Examples of the work:
- Obtain relevant information through interviews, observations, attending events, researching documents, and computer-assisted reporting
- Write accurate, fair, timely, information-packed, and colorful stories. Know and use proper grammar, spelling, and newspaper style.
- Select stories that reflect reader interest, both geographically and demographically, and reflect the diversity of the community
- Use multimedia to tell stories through web updates, photography, blogging, etc.
- Develop community contacts, sources, and other knowledge of the community and its interests.
- Editing abilities, including page pagination and posting of content to the web.
- Generate story ideas.
- Collaborate with reporter and editor colleagues in the region to set priorities based on news and opportunities to grow the audience.
- Shoot still photos and videos. Edit video for publication.
- Any other projects or assignments outlined by the editorial supervisor and/or publisher.
- Suggest photographs and graphics to accompany stories.
- Other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Must have good communications skills for the ability to deal with internal and external customers effectively
- Excellent keyboarding and computer knowledge
- Excellent knowledge of grammar, spelling, and AP style
- Ability to react quickly to new developments and exercise judgment.
- Ability to juggle multiple stories and deadlines
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Degree in Journalism or related field of study preferred. Other combinations of education and experience may be considered
Herald Journal Publishing is a growing communications company that provides its employees with competitive wages, benefits, flexible work schedules, and much more. Our newspapers are located in Delano, Cokato, Winsted, Glencoe, and Arlington, Minnesota. You can expect a refreshing and personal culture at Herald Journal Publishing that encourages idea-sharing and collaboration. Here, your knowledge, abilities, and work experience counts.
Job Type: Full-time Work Location: Part in-person and part remote possible.